2022 Kentucky Derby betting is coming up at Churchill Downs with the race on Saturday, May 7, 2022. It is the best betting race of the year! Twenty of the best three-year-old colts in the United States will run a mile and a quarter, the longest any of them have ever gone. At stake will be $3 million in purse money, the iconic blanket of roses, and a place in horse racing history.
Where to Bet the Kentucky Derby
Though it is important to pick a winner in the Kentucky Derby, it is just as important to choose the right place to bet the Kentucky Derby online. You need a trusted sportsbook with a great user interface, secure money management features, and the best odds. This is the place: all of our top sportsbooks give you everything you need.
Many of these sites also offer excellent bonuses for Kentucky Derby players, including sign-up bonuses, deposit bonuses, rebates, and referral incentives. This is the time to find the place that suits your horse racing betting style the best, and get ready to score on Derby Day!
Kentucky Derby Horses and Odds
This is the official field for the 2022 Kentucky Derby including post positions, trainers, and jockeys:
- Mo Donegal (Todd Pletcher/Irad Ortiz, Jr.) – 10-1
- Happy Jack (Doug O’Neill/Rafael Bejarano) – 30-1
- Epicenter (Steve Asmussen/Joel Rosario) – 7-2
- Summer Is Tomorrow (Bhupat Seemar/Mickael Barzalona) – 30-1
- Smile Happy (Ken McPeek/Corey Lanerie) – 20-1
- Messier (John Velazquez/Tim Yakteen) – 8-1
- Crown Pride (Koichi Shintani/Christophe Lemaire) – 20-1
- Charge It (Todd Pletcher/Luis Saez) – 20-1
- Tiz the Bomb (Ken McPeek/Brian Hernandez, Jr.) – 30-1
- Zandon (Chad Brown/Flavien Prat) – 3-1
- Pioneer of Medina (Todd Plecher/Joe Bravo) – 30-1
- Taiba (Tim Yakteen/Mike Smith) – 12-1
- Simplification (Antonio Sano/Jose Ortiz) – 20-1
- Barber Road (John Ortiz/Reylu Gutierrez) – 30-1
- White Abarrio (Saffie Joseph, Jr./Tyler Gaffalione) – 10-1
- Cyberknife (Brad Cox/Florent Geroux) – 20-1
- Classic Causeway (Brian Lynch/Julien Leparoux) – 30-1
- Tawny Port (Brad Cox/Ricardo Santana, Jr.) – 30-1
- Zozos (Brad Cox/Manuel Franco) – 20-1
- Ethereal Road (D. Wayne Lukas/Luis Contreras) – 30-1
- Rich Strike (Eric Reed/Sonny Leon) – 30-1 – ALSO ELIGIBLE
- Rattle N Roll (Ken McPeek/James Graham) – 30-1 – ALSO ELIGIBLE
Rich Strike and Rattle N Roll are on the also-eligible list, and need scratches from the main field by 9:00 a.m. EDT on Friday in order to be able to race in the Kentucky Derby. If a horse scratches later Friday or on Saturday, no horse will be allowed in from the also-eligible list because of it since betting in the American racetrack pools will have begun already.
These are the odds on the leading 2022 Kentucky Derby contenders at the best online sportsbooks:
Free Kentucky Derby Picks
Now, it is time to look at the top contenders in the 2022 Kentucky Derby. This includes some of the favorites, since favorites do tend to run well. It also includes some longshots — one or two longshots typically run into the trifecta, and the last three years have even seen longer-priced horses win the race!
Kentucky Derby Best Bet
Cyberknife is the best bet for the 2022 Kentucky Derby. A little later to mature than some of the other Kentucky Derby prospects, he looked very strong when winning the Arkansas Derby (G1). He can run well from near the pace or midpack, giving him trip options, and he has one of the best distance pedigrees in the field. He is an improving horse who offers excellent value.
Kentucky Derby Favorites
Both of the likely favorites in the Kentucky Derby have a lot to recommend them. Epicenter did nothing wrong down the Kentucky Derby trail, and proved in his Louisiana Derby (G2) win that he could be just as potent from just off the pace as he was from on it. He is coming into the race in good form and runs like a horse who will handle the trip.
Zandon comes out of the Blue Grass (G1), a prep race that has not been the most live in recent years. But, Zandon may buck the trend. He closed from last to win that race, but he did not have to drop hopelessly far off the pace, and earlier races suggest that he can be effective from closer up, as well. He has kept strong company in all his preps and should make good account again.
Taiba lacks the experience of most of his foes, as he has run just twice before the Kentucky Derby. However, he is already among the fastest in the field. Santa Anita Derby’s (G1) horses have been hard to ignore in recent years, and he won that race impressively and proved that he has truly tactical speed. Mike Smith is a well-proven Kentucky Derby rider and should be able to get the best from Taiba.
Kentucky Derby Longshots
Crown Pride, bred and based in Japan, punched his ticket to the Kentucky Derby with a victory in the UAE Derby (G2). He covered that 1 3/16 miles with ease and is bred to stretch out even further. His tactical speed can help him cover a trip. And, finally, Japanese connections have dominated the world’s biggest race meets over the last year, meaning this in-form horse could continue that trend.
Barber Road has been one of the most consistent horses on the Derby trail, hitting the board in all four of Oaklawn Park’s Kentucky Derby prep races. He has run well from on the pace, near it, or far off the front end: no matter what kind of trip he gets, even as the distances get longer, he has made a good appearance. It is hard to envision him winning the Kentucky Derby, but he is a great choice for intra-race exotics.
Kentucky Derby Free Picks
Here are your free Kentucky Derby expert picks for the 2022 Kentucky Derby:
- $30 Win: #16 Cyberknife
- $5 Win/Place/Show: #7 Crown Pride
- $1 Exacta Key: #16 Cyberknife with #3 Epicenter, #7 Crown Pride, #10 Zandon
- $1 Trifecta Key: #16 Cyberknife with #3 Epicenter, #7 Crown Pride, #10 Zandon, #12 Taiba
- $1 Superfecta Key: #16 Cyberknife with #3 Epicenter, #7 Crown Pride, #10 Zandon, #12 Taiba, #14 Barber Road
Kentucky Derby Day Handicapping
The Kentucky Derby is the feature race Saturday at Churchill. However, the entire day features top horses. There will be seven other stakes races on the card! Make sure to keep these horses in mind throughout the day; you can make a lot of money through the card by playing all the races, including an all-stakes Pick 6.
- $500,000 Churchill Distaff Turf Mile (G2): #8 Speak of the Devil
- $160,000 Knicks Go Overnight Stakes: #8 Injunction, #11 Necker Island
- $500,000 Pat Day Mile (G2): #1 Major General, #5 Jack Christopher
- $500,000 Derby City Distaff (G1): #5 Obligatory, #6 Bell’s the One
- $500,000 American Turf (G2): #2 Main Event, #7 Sy Dog, #11 Dowagiac Chief
- $500,000 Churchill Downs Stakes (G1): #1 Aloha West, #3 Jackie’s Warrior
- $1 million Turf Classic (G1): #7 Cavalry Charge, #8 Adhamo