Legal Sports Betting in California
Sports betting is legal in California. Well, as long as you are going online. There are several legal sports betting sites available to bettors in California. You can choose any of these trusted online sportsbooks.
Online gambling as well as brick-and-mortar casinos are legal in California. Well, casinos com be on tribal lands, and there are currently 69 up and running throughout the state. However, they tend to be far away from population centers. It can be a hassle to drive hours to get to one.
Online casinos are legal in California and infinitely more convenient. They also come with great bonuses and allow you to shop around. The Internet has made this experience much better.
California Sports Betting – Recent Updates
- May 12, 2022: Mary Shaffrey discuss California sports betting ballot initiatives, with a third measure offered to California residents which we could see on the ballot in November.
- May 5, 2022: The Golden State Warriors are the only California-based team still left in the NBA Playoffs. The Warriors are the sports bettors’ favorites against The Grizzlies to go through to the Western Conference Finals in 6 games
- May 4, 2022: A measure to legalize sports betting in California, backed by FanDuel, DraftKings and BetMGM, three of the biggest sports betting operators in the US, has qualified for an upcoming ballot in November 2022. Now the people of California will get their say in the legalization of sports betting. The group of sports betting operators are now in a bitter fight against the tribes, and a lot of money will be spent by both sides on lobbying before November.
- May 1, 2022: NHL Playoffs are set to begin tomorrow and the California-based Los Angeles Kings are taking on Edmonton Oilers. Oilers and Connor McDavid are the favorites, but Anze Kopitar and co will try to take advantage of the Oilers’ poor goaltending.
- April 15, 2022: California Native Tribes have gathered enough signatures on their measure for legalizing sports betting and dice games at casinos operated by Native Americans. The measure will appear on the November ballot.
- December 17, 2021: Will this be the last Christmas before sports betting is legalized in California.
Major California Mayors Back Sports Betting Initiative
With so much support statewide for the upcoming vote to legalize sports betting, it is clear why so many mayors of large California cities are coming out and pledging their support for the California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act.
According to a tweet from Ned Resnikoff, the mayors of Sacramento, Oakland, Long Beach, and Fresno have come out to back the November 2022 ballot initiative. With so much support one year out from the election, we can only expect this to grow.
With homelessness being such a big problem in California, it is clear why mayors would want to pass this initiative. Passing it has the potential to bring in an estimated $100 million to combat these problems in society. This is a nice chunk of change that is being promised to cities to fight some of their most intractable problems.
With mayors, sportsbooks, and Native American tribes all organizing support for this ballot initiative, it is likely that California will legalize sports betting in 2022. But of course, we cannot be completely sure until the fat lady sings.
Another Petition Circulates for a Different Sports Betting Legalization Structure in California
Even though there is a ballot initiative already set to be voted on by the people of California in 2022, there are now some competing petitions circulating. While these petitions do not yet have enough signatures
Top 5 California Sportsbooks
Whether or not there is legal sports betting with local sportsbooks in California, you should be prepared with the best options to sign up and start wagering on your favorite sports as soon as possible.
That is why we provide the sportsbooks that we recommend most for California sports bettors right here on this page. This way you can be ready to go no matter the circumstances. Remember that offshore sportsbooks remain legal in California whether or not they legalize sports betting on tribal lands.
You may recognize these recommendations from some of our other pages. After all, California sports bettors are looking for similar things in a great sportsbook as bettors from across the country. Security, fast payouts, and great odds are top priorities no matter where you are.
What will be different about these California betting sites is that we make sure they have great odds specifically for California sports teams. The Los Angeles Lakers and the San Francisco 49ers will have their spot on these sites.
Plus, our legal experts make sure that they are freely and legally available in California. You will have no problem accessing and playing these California online sportsbooks. They are based offshore, meaning that their servers are not governed by California local laws.
Six Reasons to Bet on These California Betting Sites
We have carefully looked over the online sports betting sites in California. We have used these sites for years and know them well. Our experience among dozens of online bookies has given us the experience to know what to look for.
When making bets online, it is important to know that you are safe and that you are getting the best deal possible. Here are the five top qualities we look for when we recommend sports betting sites, along with a sportsbook that exemplifies that characteristic.
There are also great California betting apps that you should check our for your mobile sports betting needs.
Tribal Casinos in California
Here are the 69 tribal casinos available across California. Native American Tribes have a monopoly on retail casinos in the state. One that is worth highlighting is the Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino. It has been voted number one casino fourteen times in a row. In addition to the large casino, they have an award-winning restaurant, Serenity Springs Spa & Salon, and other great amenities to make the most of your stay. Here’s a full list of California casinos:
- Amador County: Harrah’s Northern California, Jackson Rancheria Casino
- Butte County: Feather Falls Casino, Gold Country Casino & Hotel
- Colusa County: Colusa Casino Resort
- Contra Costa County: San Pablo Lytton Casino
- Del Norte County: Elk Valley Casino, Lucky 7 Casino
- Eldorado County: Redhawk Casino
- Fresno County: Mono Wind Casino, Table Mountain Casino
- Humboldt County: Bear River Casino, Blue Lake Casino, Lucky Bear Casino, Cher-Ae Heights Bingo & Casino
- Imperial County: Torres Martinez Casino, Quechan Resort Casino, Red Earth Casino
- Inyo County: Paiute Palace Casino
- Kings County: Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino
- Lake County: Robinson Rancheria Resort and Casino, Konocti Vista Casino, Twin Pine Casino
- Lassen County: Diamond Mountain Casino; Madera County: Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino
- Mendocino County: Black Bart Casino, Shodokai Casino, Sho-Ka-Wah Casino, Red Fox County
- Modoc County: Desert Rose Casino
- Placer County: Thunder Valley Casino
- Riverside County: Agua Caliente Casino, Augustine Casino, Cahuilla Creek Casino, Fantasy Springs Resort and Casino, Morongo Casino, Pechanga Resort & Casino, Soboba Casino, Spa Resort and Casino, Spotlight 29 Casino; San Bernardino: Tortoise Rock Casino, Havasu Landing Resort and Casino, San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino; San Diego: Barona Valley Ranch Resort & Casino, Casino Pauma, La Jolla Slot Arcade, La Posta Casino, Golden Acorn Casino, Harrah’s Southern California, Jamul Casino, Pala Casino Resort & Spa, Santa Ysabel Resort & Casino, Sycuan Resort and Casino, Valley View Casino, Viejas Casino; Santa Barbara: Chumash Casino Resort
- Shasta County: Win-River Casino, Pit River Casino
- Sonoma County: Graton Resort and Casino, River Rock Casino
- Tehama County: Rolling Hills Casino
- Tulare County: Eagle Mountain Casino
- Tuolumne County: Chicken Ranch Bingo & Casino, Black Oak Casino
- Yolo County: Cache Creek Casino
- Yuba County: Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
California Sports Betting Timeline
In California State, the push to make it join the other sports betting states has generally faced an uphill battle. Even while this is in process, you can bet on horse racing, fantasy sports, and professional sports at offshore online sportsbooks.
Staying up to date on the latest legal developments in California sports betting is important. If you want to be the best bettor, you should know all your options. While legal offshore bookies tend to be the best option, it is nonetheless a good idea to have your finger on the pulse of what is happening in the Golden State.
Here are some of the recent events in the California sports betting legalization timeline. Many of these are big events that mark a before and after. Others are milestones that let you know how things are advancing or stalling in the push to legalize sports gambling.
October – Poll Shows 60% support for Ballot Measure
A strong sign of support came out in October 2021 with a California-wide poll showing that 60% of the voting population was in favor of the ballot initiative to legalize sports betting in the state. This is a strong show of support just a year out from the big day. With the organized support from the Native American tribes this makes sense. We are not surprised to see this level of support in a state renowned for its open attitude to the world as general. We can only assume that this level of support will continue, allowing this ballot initiative to coast its way into becoming law. As a reflection of this level of support, the mayor of Sacramento Darrell Steinberg came out in support of the initiative. The November 2022 ballot measure is called California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act. The initiative is expected to put $100 million towards both issues. At this point, this is the only ballot initiative to be approved officially for the November 2022 election in California.
September – Sports Betting at Del Mar Stadium in San Diego is Approved
In the middle of September, Southern California was excited to find out that sports betting had been approved at the Del Mar Fairgrounds in San Diego. This is big news for San Diego, even as the rest of the state is holding their breath for November 2022 when they get a chance to vote on the ballot measure. Bettors could be able to enjoy their recreational activity here as soon as 2023. If the state gives the green light overall, the Del Mar Fairgrounds will be right there first in line to make the most out of the opportunity. It is expected for the ballot measure to pass, so this is great news for the residents of San Diego and Southern California. At this point, sports betting has become legal in 26 states. That is more than half. With the state with by far the largest population hanging in the balance, this could be a real tipping point in the national conversation. While this approval from the fairgrounds board has little immediate effect, it does say a lot about where the state as a whole is headed. This is a vote of confidence in the final outcome of the ballot measure and additional pressure to get it passed.
April – Ballot Measure to Legalize Sports Betting Gathers Enough Signatures
During the summer of 2021, a coalition of eighteen different Native American Tribes were able to gather the sufficient amount of signatures to initiate the ballot measure process. This is a big step towards letting the people of California decide the future of sports betting in the state. The California Secretary of State was the one who made the historic announcement. The measure would open up ports betting on California Tribal lands and licensed racetracks. It would also open up dice and roulette games on tribal casinos, something that has been prohibited up until this ballot measure. The ballot measure is to appear on the 2022 ballot, when voters will also be choosing the Senator to fill the seat that Kamala Harris left when she was elected Vice President of the United States. It is a mid-year election, so the turnout is likely to be lower and therefore decided by fewer voters. Grassroots opposition to sports betting in California is not very organized. While there is no way to be sure about the possibility of this ballot measure to pass, it looks likely. The strong coalition of eighteen Tribal groups makes for a powerful campaign.
November – Due to COVID and Related Health Measures, there is no Sports Betting Ballot Measure
The COVID-19 pandemic shook our lives in ways we never imagined. The examples are truly endless. One way that did not grab as many headlines was the removal of some ballot measures from voters in California. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ballot measure to legalize sports betting in California was removed. Applicants will have the opportunity to put it back on the ballot beginning in 2022. While this would have been good for momentum, it is likely that not much will change in these two years, and that the groups will once again be able to gather the necessary signatures, and that California voters will vote to open up legal sports gambling across the state.
March – Native American Tribal Coalition Gathers Signature for 2020 Ballot Measure to Legalize Sports Betting
In March 2020, a coalition of Native American tribes gathered enough signatures to put a ballot measure to vote in November 2020. This would be a big deal following the PASPA decision that the Supreme Court handed down in 2018 opening up nationwide sports betting. With the approval of this ballot measure, California would be among the first states to legalize sports betting within their territory. Although New Jersey and others have already done this, getting California on board would certainly rock the legal sports betting boat. With the momentum behind this push to open up sports betting in the state, it seems likely that the voters would approve the measure.