Legal Sports Betting in California
50% up to $1,000
100% up to $1,000
125% Sports Bonus - up to $2,500
50% up to $1,000
50% up to $1,000
Sports betting is legal in California. Well, as long as you are going online. There are several legal sports betting sites available to bettors in California. You can choose any of these trusted online sportsbooks.
|Sports Betting Law Passed||No ❌|
|Minimum Gambling Age||18|
|Online Sports Betting||Yes ✔️|
|Retail Sports Betting||No ❌|
|Retail Casinos||No ❌|
Online gambling as well as brick-and-mortar casinos are legal in California. Well, casinos com be on tribal lands, and there are currently 69 up and running throughout the state. However, they tend to be far away from population centers. It can be a hassle to drive hours to get to one.
Online casinos are legal in California and infinitely more convenient. They also come with great bonuses and allow you to shop around. The Internet has made this experience much better.
Top 5 California Sportsbooks
Whether or not there is legal sports betting with local sportsbooks in California, you should be prepared with the best options to sign up and start wagering on your favorite sports as soon as possible.
That is why we provide the sportsbooks that we recommend most for California sports bettors right here on this page. This way you can be ready to go no matter the circumstances. Remember that offshore sportsbooks remain legal in California whether or not they legalize sports betting on tribal lands.
You may recognize this recommendation from some of our other pages. After all, California sports bettors are looking for similar things in a great sportsbook as bettors from across the country. BetUS offers security, fast payouts, and great odds, which are top priorities no matter where you are. BetUs has been around for a long time. Established in 1994, this trusted sportsbook keeps it fresh with rotating promotions and bonus offerings.
What will be different about these California betting sites is that we make sure they have great odds specifically for California sports teams. The Los Angeles Lakers and the San Francisco 49ers will have their spot on this site.
- Competitive odds
- Great mobile layout
- Varied betting markets
Bovada is the number one sportsbook across the country. Attracting the most players, it is clear to see why. This trusted name will take care of you from start to finish. Their reputation is well known and well deserved.
Plus, our legal experts make sure that they are freely and legally available in California. You will have no problem accessing and playing this California online sportsbook. It is based offshore, meaning that its servers are not governed by California local laws.
- Number one sportsbook in CA
- Tens of thousands of markets daily
- Rotating specials
This modern website has a great welcome bonus. At a 100% match up to a thousand big ones, BetOnline is a solid choice! But they offer more than just a solid welcome bonus for California bettors, they also hav great payout speed, which is an essential part of being a trustworthy sportsbook.
After all, we are here to have fun, but making a few bucks along the way would also be nice! Things like withdrawal speed are essential to having more control over your earnings. California sports bettors will be at home at BetOnline.
- Lots of banking options
- Crypto bonus
- Great layout
This sportsbook is great for California sports fans. You can enter your favorite football and basketball teams and they will automatically improve the betting odds on those games. If you bet with your heart, this California sportsbook is a must.
So if you are a fan of the San Francisco 49ers or the Los Angeles Lakers, GTBets will make your sports betting endeavors especially profitable. Plus, the aesthetic of the site is iconic and never bores its users!
- Great reputation
- Lots of promotions
- Casino and racebook included
MyBookie has super fast payouts and deposits, which will let you have more control over your bankroll as you dive into sports betting. You have more than one signup bonus here at MyBookie.
MyBookie is also known for its great mobile interface. You can sign up by clicking the link we provide and their website will automatically adjust to your mobile device, making for a seamless connection.
- Rotating promotions
- Lots of betting markets
- Updates regularly
*Did you expect to see sportsbooks like BetMGM, DraftKings or FanDuel on the list? Unfortunately, they don’t offer online sports betting for bettors residing in California. That could change in November, but until that, you will not find them or Unibet, BetRivers, Fox Bet or PointsBet in California. Instead, you can try any of the sites reviewed in MyTopSportsbooks – they offer competitive odds and higher bonuses than the brands advertising on TV.
Is Sports Betting Legal in California
Sports betting is currently legally available in California via online sportsbooks. Even though the state legislature has not yet begun licensing sportsbooks, bettors in California can easily access online sports betting today via the sportsbooks we recommend here. We will see if California voters finally approve local sportsbooks in the next elections.
California November 2022 ballot – Prop 26 and Prop 27
California Sports Betting – Recent Updates
- February 28, 2023 – Will California sports betting pummeling In 2022 stop future ballot push?
- January 27, 2023 – California is likely to vote to legalize online sports betting – what to expect.
- December 14, 2022 – Following the firm rejection of Prop 27, those in the industry believe that operators must modify their approach with tribes to facilitate legalization of CA sports betting over the web.
- November 23, 2022 – Future of sports betting looking bleak in the state following election defeat.
- November 9, 2022 – Gambling giants are the losers after California rejects sports betting. Industry hopes to overturn referendum outcome in biggest US market in 2024
- November 16, 2022 – Both major ballot initiatives in the midterms to legalize sports betting in California failed
- October 30, 2022 – California sports betting is complicated due to special interests due to competing ballot propositions.
- September 15, 2022 – DraftKings highlights California sports betting prop 27 In an email to users.
- August 30, 2022 – Top Elected Officials Voice Opposition To California’s Proposition 27
- August 31, 2022 – California could ‘catalyze M&A’ in sports betting, according to a new report.
- August 1, 2022 – Last Week, a Tribe-Sponsored 30-Second Attack Ad Called Opponents Liars on Prop 27.
- July 28, 2022 – There could be huge changes coming to US casinos in California, with a lawsuit aiming to potentially derail sports betting in the state.
Six Reasons to Bet on These California Betting Sites
We have carefully looked over the online sports betting sites in California. We have used these sites for years and know them well. Our experience among dozens of online bookies has given us the experience to know what to look for.
When making bets online, it is important to know that you are safe and that you are getting the best deal possible. Here are the five top qualities we look for when we recommend sports betting sites, along with a sportsbook that exemplifies that characteristic.
There are also great California betting apps that you should check our for your mobile sports betting needs.
Potential legal sports betting sites in California
There are lots of big fish waiting to sink their teeth into the California betting market if the state legislature opens the floodgates. These names, like FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM, BetRivers, and Unibet tend to offer worse odds and stingy bonuses, as they spend so much of their budget on advertising. While we do not know how many licenses will be given, if any, we know that even before this happens, bettors in California can use the online sports betting sites we recommend here.
Tribal Casinos in California
Here are the 69 tribal casinos available across California. Native American Tribes have a monopoly on retail casinos in the state. One that is worth highlighting is the Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino. It has been voted number one casino fourteen times in a row. In addition to the large casino, they have an award-winning restaurant, Serenity Springs Spa & Salon, and other great amenities to make the most of your stay. Here’s a full list of California casinos:
- Amador County: Harrah’s Northern California, Jackson Rancheria Casino
- Butte County: Feather Falls Casino, Gold Country Casino & Hotel
- Colusa County: Colusa Casino Resort
- Contra Costa County: San Pablo Lytton Casino
- Del Norte County: Elk Valley Casino, Lucky 7 Casino
- Eldorado County: Redhawk Casino
- Fresno County: Mono Wind Casino, Table Mountain Casino
- Humboldt County: Bear River Casino, Blue Lake Casino, Lucky Bear Casino, Cher-Ae Heights Bingo & Casino
- Imperial County: Torres Martinez Casino, Quechan Resort Casino, Red Earth Casino
- Inyo County: Paiute Palace Casino
- Kings County: Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino
- Lake County: Robinson Rancheria Resort and Casino, Konocti Vista Casino, Twin Pine Casino
- Lassen County: Diamond Mountain Casino; Madera County: Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino
- Mendocino County: Black Bart Casino, Shodokai Casino, Sho-Ka-Wah Casino, Red Fox County
- Modoc County: Desert Rose Casino
- Placer County: Thunder Valley Casino
- Riverside County: Agua Caliente Casino, Augustine Casino, Cahuilla Creek Casino, Fantasy Springs Resort and Casino, Morongo Casino, Pechanga Resort & Casino, Soboba Casino, Spa Resort and Casino, Spotlight 29 Casino; San Bernardino: Tortoise Rock Casino, Havasu Landing Resort and Casino, San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino; San Diego: Barona Valley Ranch Resort & Casino, Casino Pauma, La Jolla Slot Arcade, La Posta Casino, Golden Acorn Casino, Harrah’s Southern California, Jamul Casino, Pala Casino Resort & Spa, Santa Ysabel Resort & Casino, Sycuan Resort and Casino, Valley View Casino, Viejas Casino; Santa Barbara: Chumash Casino Resort
- Shasta County: Win-River Casino, Pit River Casino
- Sonoma County: Graton Resort and Casino, River Rock Casino
- Tehama County: Rolling Hills Casino
- Tulare County: Eagle Mountain Casino
- Tuolumne County: Chicken Ranch Bingo & Casino, Black Oak Casino
- Yolo County: Cache Creek Casino
- Yuba County: Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
California Sports Betting Timeline
In California State, the push to make it join the other sports betting states has generally faced an uphill battle. Even while this is in process, you can bet on horse racing, fantasy sports, and professional sports at offshore online sportsbooks.
Staying up to date on the latest legal developments in California sports betting is important. If you want to be the best bettor, you should know all your options. While legal offshore bookies tend to be the best option, it is nonetheless a good idea to have your finger on the pulse of what is happening in the Golden State.
Here are some of the recent events in the California sports betting legalization timeline. Many of these are big events that mark a before and after. Others are milestones that let you know how things are advancing or stalling in the push to legalize sports gambling.
2022 Midterm elections
California voters rejected the sports betting proposals in the November 2022 midterm elections. This would have provided the state with the authority to license and tax local sportsbooks. California voters will likely have another opportunity to approve or reject a similar proposal in two years during the general elections.
Many California Mayors Back Sports Betting Initiative
With so much support statewide for the upcoming vote to legalize sports betting, it is clear why so many mayors of large California cities are coming out and pledging their support for the California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act.
According to a tweet from Ned Resnikoff, the mayors of Sacramento, Oakland, Long Beach, and Fresno have come out to back the November 2022 ballot initiative. With so much support one year out from the election, we can only expect this to grow.
With homelessness being such a big problem in California, it is clear why mayors would want to pass this initiative. Passing it has the potential to bring in an estimated $100 million to combat these problems in society. This is a nice chunk of change that is being promised to cities to fight some of their most intractable problems.
With mayors, sportsbooks, and Native American tribes all organizing support for this ballot initiative, it is likely that California will legalize sports betting in 2022. But of course, we cannot be completely sure until the fat lady sings.
Another Petition Circulates for a Different Sports Betting Legalization Structure in California
Even though there is a ballot initiative already set to be voted on by the people of California in 2022, there are now some competing petitions circulating. While these petitions do not yet have enough signatures
October – Poll Shows 60% Support for Ballot Measure
A strong sign of support came out in October 2021 with a California-wide poll showing that 60% of the voting population was in favor of the ballot initiative to legalize sports betting in the state. This is a strong show of support just a year out from the big day. With organized support from Native American tribes this makes sense. We are not surprised to see this level of support in a state renowned for its open attitude to the world in general. We can only assume that this level of support will continue, allowing this ballot initiative to coast its way into becoming law. As a reflection of this level of support, the mayor of Sacramento Darrell Steinberg came out in support of the initiative. The November 2022 ballot measure is called California Solutions to Homelessness and Mental Health Support Act. The initiative is expected to put $100 million towards both issues. At this point, this is the only ballot initiative to be officially approved for the November 2022 election in California.
September – Sports Betting at Del Mar Stadium in San Diego is Approved
In the middle of September, Southern California was excited to find out that sports betting had been approved at the Del Mar Fairgrounds in San Diego. This is big news for San Diego, even as the rest of the state is holding their breath for November 2022 when they get a chance to vote on the ballot measure. Bettors could be able to enjoy their recreational activities here as soon as 2023. If the state gives the green light overall, the Del Mar Fairgrounds will be right there first in line to make the most out of the opportunity. It is expected for the ballot measure to pass, so this is great news for the residents of San Diego and Southern California. At this point, sports betting has become legal in 26 states. That is more than half. With a state with by far the largest population hanging in the balance, this could be a real tipping point in the national conversation. While this approval from the fairgrounds board has little immediate effect, it does say a lot about where the state as a whole is headed. This is a vote of confidence in the final outcome of the ballot measure and additional pressure to get it passed.
June – A Potential Legislative Path
While it is no guarantee, scholars have found a potential legislative path to legalizing sports betting in California. This potential path remains a potential because it hinges on another branch of state government. The Supreme Court will have to decide on its interpretation of the California Constitution’s ban on “casino-style” gaming. It is not clear if sports betting is part of casino-style gaming, as is forbidden in the California Constitution.
April – Ballot Measure to Legalize Sports Betting Gathers Enough Signatures
During the summer of 2021, a coalition of eighteen different Native American Tribes were able to gather the sufficient amount of signatures to initiate the ballot measure process. This is a big step towards letting the people of California decide the future of sports betting in the state. The California Secretary of State was the one who made the historic announcement. The measure would open up ports for betting on California Tribal lands and licensed racetracks. It would also open up dice and roulette games on tribal casinos, something that has been prohibited up until this ballot measure. The ballot measure is to appear on the 2022 ballot, when voters will also be choosing the Senator to fill the seat that Kamala Harris left when she was elected Vice President of the United States. It is a mid-year election, so turnout is likely to be lower and therefore decided by fewer voters. Grassroots opposition to sports betting in California is not very organized. While there is no way to be sure about the possibility of this ballot measure passing, it looks likely. The strong coalition of eighteen Tribal groups makes for a powerful campaign.
November – Due to COVID and Related Health Measures, there is no Sports Betting Ballot Measure
The COVID-19 pandemic shook our lives in ways we never imagined. The examples are truly endless. One way that did not grab as many headlines was the removal of some ballot measures from voters in California. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ballot measure to legalize sports betting in California was removed. Applicants will have the opportunity to put it back on the ballot beginning in 2022. While this would have been good for momentum, it is likely that not much will change in these two years, and that the groups will once again be able to gather the necessary signatures, and that California voters will vote to open up legal sports gambling across the state.
March – Native American Tribal Coalition Gathers Signature for 2020 Ballot Measure to Legalize Sports Betting
In March 2020, a coalition of Native American tribes gathered enough signatures to put a ballot measure to vote on in November 2020. This would be a big deal following the PASPA decision that the Supreme Court handed down in 2018 opening up nationwide sports betting. With the approval of this ballot measure, California would be among the first states to legalize sports betting within their territory. Although New Jersey and others have already done this, getting California on board would certainly rock the legal sports betting boat. With the momentum behind this push to open up sports betting in the state, it seems likely that voters would approve the measure.
Recent California Betting Tips, March 2023
NBA Betting California
- Los Angeles Lakers – The Los Angeles Lakers are one of the most successful franchises in the history of the National Basketball Association. The Lakers have been a part of the league since 1947 and have had some of the greatest players to ever play the game.
- Los Angeles Clippers – The Clippers compete in the National Basketball Association (NBA) as a member of the Pacific Division of the Western Conference. The Clippers play their home games at the Staples Center, an arena they share with fellow NBA team the Los Angeles Lakers, as well as the Los Angeles Sparks of the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA).
- Sacramento Kings – The Kings are the oldest team in the National Basketball Association. They joined the NBA in 1945 as the Rochester Royals.
- Golden State Warriors – The Golden State Warriors have gone through a number of name changes. They were originally known as the Philadelphia Warriors before moving to San Francisco. They are still based in SF, but now represent the entire state.
MLB Betting in California
- San Diego Padres – The San Diego Padres are a professional baseball team based in San Diego, California. They compete in Major League Baseball (MLB) as a member of the National League (NL) West division.
- San Francisco Giants – The San Francisco Giants are an American professional baseball team based in San Francisco, California. Founded in 1883, the Giants compete in Major League Baseball (MLB) as a member club of the National League (NL) West division. They are one of the oldest and most successful professional baseball teams.
- Los Angeles Dodgers – The team is a member of the Major League Baseball (MLB) and currently competes in the National League West division. The Dodgers are the oldest continuously operating professional baseball team in the United States, having been in existence since 1883.
NFL Betting in California
- Los Angeles Rams – The Los Angeles Rams are a professional American football team based in Los Angeles, California. They compete in the National Football League (NFL) as a member club of the league’s National Football Conference (NFC) West division. The Rams play their home games at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California.
- Los Angeles Chargers – The Chargers compete in the National Football League (NFL) as a member of the league’s American Football Conference (AFC) West division. The Chargers play their home games at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, which the team shares with the Los Angeles Rams.
- San Francisco 49ers – The team is renowned for its rich history and winning tradition, and is considered one of the most successful teams in NFL history. The team is also known for its fierce rivalry with the Dallas Cowboys, as well as its long-standing rivalries with the Seattle Seahawks and the Oakland Raiders.
NHL Betting in California
- Los Angeles Kings – Founded in 1967, the Kings play in the Western Conference and the Pacific Division. They were one of the six teams in the 1967 expansion.
- San Jose Sharks – The Sharks began playing in the Cow Palace when they were founded in 1991. They would go a decade before winning their first Division Championship
- Anaheim Ducks – Founded in 1993 by the Walt Disney Corporation, they were known as the Mighty Ducks until the name change in 2006.
California and Daily Fantasy Sports
California has no laws that explicitly legalize daily fantasy sports betting, but residents are still able to log in and play. You can build your team and start betting on a number of different daily fantasy sports betting apps. Here are some of the biggest and most popular options in the state: These sites tend to be quite pricey because of their high operating costs.
- DraftKings App
- FanDuel DFS App
- Monkey Knife Fight
- WinView Games
- Outlast Daily Fantasy Sports
- Yahoo Fantasy Sports
- Fantasy Draft
Is Horse Racing Legal in California?
Yes, horse racing is legal in California. They legalized pari-mutuel betting in 1933, making it a long tradition in the state. In fact, some of the most iconic horse racing tracks in the country and even the world are in California. What would horse racing be without the Santa Anita track? Del Mar and Golden Gate Fields are the other big names in California horse racing.
Bettors in California also have the option of making off-track bets at online racebooks. All the betting sites we recommend on this page also have horse racing bets available.
Nearest states with legal betting
California neighbors states with legal betting. When we think of retail casinos, who could forget Las Vegas and Nevada. The Strip is home to many world-famous casinos and has been the most important center for gambling in the United States for decades. Oregon and Arizona, California’s two other neighbors, have also passed laws allowing them to license local sportsbooks. However, bettors in California do not need to travel to place the best bets. Online sportsbooks available in California right now are often the best choices on the market.
Betting on NFL in California – 2023
- The 2023 Super Bowl Winners, and the Kansas City Chiefs, clinch the 2024 Championship at the Super Bowl with odds of +600 with top providers.
- A fun little prop for Kansas fans is for them to win the Super Bowl and Conference at odds of +950.
- Philadelphia Eagles are prized at +800, giving them the implied probability of 11.1% to win the Super Bowl in 2024.
- The Eagles Jalen Hurts is the favorite to become the NFL MVP in 2024, with the vast majority of major online providers listing him at +550.
- The Dallas Cowboys are the underdogs to win the Super Bowl this season at +1600.
Betting on MLB in California – March 2023
- The White Sox are outside favorites to clinch the title in 2023 at odds of +2500.
- We look to the favorites, the Dodgers, to win the 2023 World Series at odds of +750 across all major online providers
- With much longer odds, the Philadelphia Phillies are listed at odds of +1400 to win it with BetOnline.
- We strongly suggest looking at the Mets as a dark horse bet for the 2023 season at odds of +700 with GTBets.
- The Yankees still haven’t found the form they had a few years ago and are now listed at +700 before the season begins.
Betting on NBA in California – 2023
- Golden State Warriors are a Top-3 favorite to win the back-to-back title in 2023. BetOnline gives you +900 futures odds for their title (10.5% implied probability).
- Golden State Warriors player Stephen Curry has the 8th lowest odds to win the MVP of the Regular Season 2022 – 2023 at BetOnline (+5500). That’s a 1.8% probability – far behind Luca Doncic of Dallas, the league’s favorite to be the MVP, prized at +650 (13.3% probability).
- The Over/Under for Golden State is 51.5 total wins, with the overprized at -125 and the under at -105.
- The LA Clippers are not far behind The Warriors at BetOnline. Their Championship futures odds are +1100, giving them a 9% implied probability of winning the title.
- The Over/Under for Clippers is 52.5 wins, with both prized at +215.