Legal Sports Betting in Florida
Sports betting in Florida is currently illegal. However, as early as October 15, 2021, according to the deal signed with Seminole Tribe, bettors may be able to start gambling with their favorite online bookmakers in Florida, even being able t enjoy mobile sports betting. Sports betting has thrived in the Sunshine State since betting became legal.
At present, the bill has been approved and is on its way to the judges to establish whether it will be passed into law. For the time being, sports fans and bettors are able to wager online via any of the trusted offshore sportsbook providers or great sports betting apps.
Florida sports betting has been contested for a long time, with many in public and private sector lobbying for change. But finally, across the USA we are seeing changes in betting law, with many states pushing to change the betting laws in order to allow online sports betting.
Online casinos are also illegal in the state, but this will be another thing that changes if the bill passes. The fact that offshore betting is the only legal sports betting in Florida is of no benefit to the state. This is why we are now seeing state laws changing nationwide.
Florida Sports Betting – Recent Updates
- August 30, 2022 – Feds, state, Seminoles defend Florida sports-betting deal in court; No Casinos pushes back.
- August 15, 2022 – The Biden administration urges an appeals court to reinstate a deal that gave the Seminole Tribe control of sports betting in the state.
- July 29, 2022 – Head of Government Affairs US Brandt Iden stated, “Florida sports betting will probably end up at the Supreme Court, and that could put us well into 2024 before you see any movement.”
- July 12, 2022 – The court is unlikely to decide on Florida sports betting until 2023.
- June 12, 2022 -Cory Zeidman, former WSOP bracelet winner, was arrested on charges of fraud and money laundering related to a $25 million sports betting scheme
The Florida sports betting industry hasn’t seen a lot of movement in terms of betting legality in recent months. The last major event was when Hard Rock sportsbooks temporality cancelled its mobile sports betting app, after only launching it the month before.
With betting legal in the state as of May 2021, mobile sports betting has taken off in the state. There has definitely been an encouraging movement across the states toward legalising sports betting, so we’re likely to see many more states following suit in the coming years. The Seminole Tribe has taken control of mobile sports betting in the state and is paving the way for other states looking to approve online wagering.
We will be keeping a close eye on any industry developments and keep you informed as things move forward. Stay tuned!
The Top Eight Bookmakers In Florida
One of the most important things to consider as an online player, regardless of whether you reside in Florida or not, getting to grips with your bookmaker is essential to finding success when sports wagering. As such, our in-house experts have scanned the internet, analyzing the top bookmakers available to US players.
As is the case with all our bookmaker reviews, we delve deep into the various services available and build a profile for each online provider. This gives our readers a clear understanding of what they’re signing up for; detailing the bonuses, promotions, and various payment methods.
For those of our readers who feel they want to learn more about wagering online in the Sunshine State, we’ve listed the top eight bookies online today.
*Were you surprised not to see FanDuel, DrafKings or BetMGM in the top 8? We are sorry to inform that they don’t offer online gambling for bettors in Florida for legal reasons. They are working hard to change that, but until the sports betting legislation in Florida changes, you can bet with our partners like Bovada, BetOnline and XBet. They offer amazing odds and higher bonuses than the brands that spend a lot of money advertising on TV and lobbying lawmakers.
Five Reasons to Bet on These Offshore Betting Sites In Florida
While we wait for a change to betting law in the state, we take a look at how to bet on sports in Florida. With the Buccaneers and Lightning winning the top prizes in the NHL and NFL in 2020, there has never been a better time to wager on sports betting markets for Floridians.
We have carefully reviewed the top online sports betting sites and provided some details we find especially important. Our team of experts and experience reviewing the very best providers means we know exactly what to look for on these sites.
Until you can bet on sports in Florida, we’ll give you the top five qualities to look out for when searching for an online betting site.
Available to Florida Bettors
This is a given. However, it’s important to check that the provider you’re interested in working with allows bettors residing in Florida to wager on the site. Florida’s online sports betting regulations are quite lax but don’t forget that online betting is strictly illegal unless it’s with an offshore bookmaker. Be sure what the oddsmaker permits before depositing.
GTBets is a great example of a sportsbook full of bonuses. Their welcome bonus is 100%.
First-Rate Customer Service
One of the best ways to judge a sportsbook is based on its customer service. The only way a top bookmaker can build and maintain a community of players and loyal customers is to ensure that they have the means to get help when they need it. This is especially important when there is money on the line. The very best online sportsbooks will always provide a combination of, if not all of these:
- Email contact
- Phone contact centre
- Live Chat
- Community Forums
- Extensive FAQs
This can be confusing, as many sportsbooks will promote themselves as being the very best sportsbook around. But, ensure you do your homework. When scrolling through the various forums and internet reviews of a bookmaker, look out for customer complaints and how recent those complaints were made. What’s it like to navigate the site? Are the odds competitive? These are the kinds of questions a bettor should be asking. Make sure the sportsbook you’re depositing with is providing a legitimate service.
WagerWeb is a great example of this. They are always among the first to update their odds, really setting the industry tone.
Up to Date Odds
Many sportsbooks offer a variety of odds on a broad range of markets. But, are you receiving the latest betting odds? The only way to fully enjoy the excitement of gambling is to be able to bet on the latest odds. Technology has improved so much so that nearly all sportsbook providers are now offering live betting odds on a broad range of markets. If you’re the type of sports fan that keeps up-to-date with current events, you’ll expect to see changes in sports odds depending on what may have happened with competitors or teams. If this is not reflected in the odds, pass on this bookmaker.
Everygame has great customer service, especially their live chat, available 24/7.
Look for Promotions and Bonuses
Bonuses are a big part of sportsbooks. Whether it be the initial Welcome Bonus, seasonal promotions, or casino bonuses, there are a variety of great wagers that bettors should be looking for before depositing. This is especially true for the welcome bonus, which can give bettors a 50% or even 100% match on their first deposit. This gives a huge boost to a player’s funds from day one. As we mentioned, the major sports events (Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series, etc..) all provide great opportunities for bettors to attain funds.
Bovada has been around for a long time and is a well-known and beloved sportsbook.
List of Casinos in Florida
The Sunshine State is home to many casinos, especially on land owned by the Seminole Tribe in Florida. One of the biggest ones is the Hard Rock Sportsbook. It will soon be available for mobile sports betting. It is an example of a casino owned by the Seminole Tribe Florida. Even though it is a worldwide chain, it has its own color here in Florida.
- Big Easy Casino
- Calder Casino & Race Course
- Casino Miami Jai-Alai
- Creek Entertainment Gretna
- Dania Jai-Alai
- Daytona Beach Racing and Card Club
- Derby Lane
- Ebro Greyhound Track
- Flagler Dog Track and Magic City Casino
- Gulfstream Park Racing and Casino
- Hialeah Park Race Track
- Jacksonville Kennel Club
- Jefferson County Kennel Club
- Melbourne Greyhound Park
- Miccosukee Resort and Gaming Center
- Naples/Fort Myers Greyhound Track
- Ocala Poker & Jai-Alai
- Orange Park Kennel Club
- Orange City Racing and Card Club
- Oxford Downs
- Palm Beach Kennel Club
- Pensacola Greyhound Track
- Pompano Park
- Sarasota Kennel Club
- Seminole Casino Big Cypress
- Seminole Casino Brighton
- Seminole Casino Hotel Immokalee
- Seminole Casino Coconut Creek
- Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Hollywood
- Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Tampa
- Seminole Classic Casino
- Tampa Bay Downs
- Tampa Greyhound Track
Florida Sports Betting Timeline
We take a look back at the last few years of news related to Florida sports betting, with some major progress towards a legal playing field for bettors and providers.
US Department issued an approval on betting
The US Department of Interior issued a “deemed” approval letter to the betting compact, implying it is legal under US law.
The Launch doesn’t go ahead as planned
The anticipated launch date has come and gone. Updates could come in November after a hearing on Nov. 5 to address one of the lawsuits.
Senator files for legal sports betting
Sen. Jeff Brandes files SB 392, which would allow for legal sports betting.
Seminole Tribe removes itself from 2010 Compact
The Seminole Tribe removes itself from the 2010 Compact, due to a disagreement with racino card game revenue and operation. The state stops receiving revenue from its gambling operations, although casino operations continue.
There are many discussions about the Florida-Seminole gaming compact. What’s clear is that all the parties need to sit down and discuss how to bet move forward, and within Constitutional limits, so that we do not repeat the failures and setbacks of previous attempts.
Betting on NFL in Florida – 2022/23
- The Over/Under for the Los Angeles Rams offers value at BetUS, which is set at 10.5 wins and -120 for the under, and -110 for the over.
- The Broncos are real outsiders to lift the title before the season kicks off, with GTBets outrights putting them at +1700 to win it.
- The reigning Los Angeles Rams are a top-five favorite to win the Super Bowl in 2023, with odds of +1000 at BetUS.
- The Chargers are another great outsider to lift the Vince Lombardi Trophy in 2023, with odds of +1400 at top-tier providers like Bovada and BetOnline.
- The Over/Under for the 49ers is set at 9.5 wins and comes in at -140 (under) and +110 (over) at GTBets.
Betting on MLB in Florida – September 2022
- Look at the outrights to win the World Series with BetOnline, offering the San Francisco Giants at +900.
- The Seattle Mariners are also a great option at the same bookmaker, with real outsider odds of +2800.
- If you prefer the odds to make the Playoffs, and look at the San Diego Padres, who are very likely to make it in the eyes of our recommended bookmakers, with odds of -550.
- The Dodgers are favorites to win it as we enter September, with odds of +360 at top-tier bookmaker Bovada.
- If you’re reading this from Canada and want a team from the North to win, the Toronto Blue Jays are at +1680 to win the World Series 2022 with BetUS.
Betting on NBA in Florida – 2022/23
- The MVP odds are exciting this season. We’ve got the reigning NBA champion Stephen Curry at +1200 to win the Regular Season MVP title, a way behind the favorite Luka Doncic at +425.
- Last seasons NBA Finals team the Boston Celtics are favorites to win the 2022/23 Championship, with odds of +512 at BetOnline.
- The Over/Under for the Los Angeles Clippers is set at 52.5 wins, with both lines set at -115 with BetUS.
- The Warriors are not far behind their 2022 NBA Finals opponents, the Celtics, with odds of +700 at GTBets.
- The Clippers are also amongst the favorites, with odds ranging between +700 and +750 at our recommended top-tier providers.