Legal Sports Betting in Florida
50% up to $1,000
50% up to $1,000
Sports betting in Florida is currently illegal. However, as early as October 15, 2021, according to the deal signed with Seminole Tribe, bettors may be able to start gambling with their favorite online bookmakers in Florida, even being able t enjoy mobile sports betting. Sports betting has thrived in the Sunshine State since betting became legal.
At present, the bill has been approved and is on its way to the judges to establish whether it will be passed into law. For the time being, sports fans and bettors are able to wager online via any of the trusted offshore sportsbook providers or great sports betting apps.
Florida sports betting has been contested for a long time, with many in the public and private sector lobbying for change. But finally, across the USA we are seeing changes in betting laws, with many states pushing to change the betting laws in order to allow online sports betting.
|Sports Betting Law Passed||No ❌|
|Minimum Gambling Age||18|
|Online Sports Betting||Yes ✔️|
|Retail Sports Betting||No ❌|
|Retail Casinos||No ❌|
Online casinos are also illegal in the state, but this will be another thing that changes if the bill passes. The fact that offshore betting is the only legal sports betting in Florida is of no benefit to the state. This is why we are now seeing state laws changing nationwide.
Top 5 Florida Online Sportsbooks
One of the most important things to consider as an online player, regardless of whether you reside in Florida, is getting to grips with your bookmaker is essential to finding success when sports wagering. As such, our in-house experts have scanned the internet, analyzing the top bookmakers available to US players.
As with all our bookmaker reviews, we delve deep into the various services available and build a profile for each online provider. This gives our readers a clear understanding of what they’re signing up for, detailing the bonuses, promotions, and various payment methods.
For readers who want to learn more about wagering online in the Sunshine State, we’ve listed the top five bookies offering online gambling in Florida today.
As one of the big names in the industry, Bovada is one of the benchmarks for aspiring online bookies. When players are looking to find the best bets in a particular market or are line shopping for the most competitive odds online, they always pass by Bovada.
With a great presence in the Sunshine State, certainly one of the leading bookmakers for players looking to wager on sports. Enjoy unique features like; experienced sports, over two decades in the industry, excellent site and mobile app user interface, and a comprehensive betting platform: sportsbook, casino, racebook, and poker rooms. Easy sign-up process
We’ve put together a comprehensive Bovada review for our readers.
Why MyTopSportsbooks Loves Bovada:
- Full-service one-wallet wagering
- First industry morning lines
- Broad range of crypto deposit methods
Another long-standing bookmaker, first coming online in 2004, BetOnline has built its profile as a community provider, offering first-rate customer service and a development team that works tirelessly to ensure customers enjoy a unique betting experience. Floridians can enjoy a range of bonuses and prop bet promotions to keep them entertained.
Players at BetOnline can enjoy these attributes; tons of great bonus offerings and deals, reliable and legitimate sportsbooks, and first-rate customer service. Modern website and mobile betting platform.
Read our BetOnline review to learn more about this unique provider.
Why MyTopSportsbooks Loves BetOnline:
- Excellent first-deposit bonus
- Highly reputable North American sportsbook
- First-rate customer service team
For those players that focus on betting strategy, a wealth of players in the BetUS community have been playing for decades. Access the different odds markets here, as BetUS offers some of the most competitive sports betting online.
Many players have gotten lucky backing the underdog and hitting huge payouts. BetUS boasts the following features; longevity in the industry, a great loyalty program, regular updates to promotions and bonus offerings, and great live/In-play betting markets.
Get the full story with our BetUS review.
Why MyTopSportsbooks Loves BetUS:
- Top-tier mobile betting app
- Range of bonuses and promotions
- Excellent weekly horse-racing rebate
A bookmaker state governor Ron DeSantis would be proud of GTBets as one of those bookmakers on everyone’s line shopping list. A provider that has been in the game as long as any and knows what it takes to remain competitive in what is a saturated industry. GTBets has played a huge role in building a safe betting environment online, and it’s evidenced in the quality of the service they continue to offer year after year.
We found the following features exceptional at GTBets; highly rated sportsbook within the community, gets the basics right, excellent deposit options, and consistently good sportsbook bonus options.
Learn more with our comprehensive GTBets review.
Why MyTopSportsbooks Loves GTBets:
- Competitive sports betting lines
- Most sports betting lines in the US
- Industry-leading welcome bonus
XBet has a collective vision to redefine the gaming industry by establishing itself as the world’s leading online sports betting and gambling website. This has been realized in the past decade since XBet first went online in 2007.
While the XBet service focuses on its sportsbook and casino offerings, you can see what separates this provider from the rest right here; bonuses for new and returning players, a fully-stocked casino that complements the sportsbook, a modern look and feel across the site.
We provide the full details about this sportsbook in our XBet review.
Why MyTopSportsbooks Loves XBet:
- Live casino wagering
- Excellent rewards program
- Straightforward sign-up process
*Were you surprised not to see FanDuel, DrafKings or BetMGM in the top 8? We are sorry to inform you that they don’t offer online gambling for bettors in Florida for legal reasons. They are working hard to change that, but until sports betting legislation in Florida changes, you can bet with our partners like Bovada, BetOnline and XBet. They offer amazing odds and higher bonuses than brands that spend a lot of money advertising on TV and lobbying lawmakers.
Florida Sports Betting – Recent Updates
- February 27, 2023 – An appeals court is weighing whether the Seminole Tribe should control sports betting in Florida.
- January 17, 2023 – The Florida sports betting situation is set up to be a well-disputed battle in 2023.
- December 15, 2022 – Oral arguments in Florida have set the stage for a ruling related to sports betting in 2023.
- December 1, 2022 – Media and betting business FL Entertainment reported a 5.7% increase in online sports and betting revenue for the first time in 2022.
- November 14, 2022 – Seminoles file a brief aiming to be heard in the Florida sports betting case.
- October 26, 2022 – Florida’s Department of the Interior is expected to champion bringing legal sports betting to the state, with the 2020 agreement made with the Seminole Tribe to be disgorged by the federal court system.
- September 23, 2022 – Attorney explains why legalized sports betting in Florida is still in limbo. Sports betting expert Daniel Wallach details legal issues in ‘The Weekly.’
- August 30, 2022 – Feds, state, Seminoles defend Florida sports-betting deal in court; No Casinos push back.
- August 15, 2022 – The Biden administration urges an appeals court to reinstate a deal that gave the Seminole Tribe control of sports betting in the state.
- July 29, 2022 – Head of Government Affairs US Brandt Iden stated, “Florida sports betting will probably end up at the Supreme Court, and that could put us well into 2024 before you see any movement.”
The Florida sports betting industry hasn’t seen a lot of movement in terms of betting legality in recent months. The last major event was when Hard Rock sportsbooks temporarily canceled its mobile sports betting app, after only launching it the month before.
With betting legal in the state as of May 2021, mobile sports betting has taken off in the state. There has definitely been an encouraging movement across the states toward legalizing sports betting, so we’re likely to see many more states following suit in the coming years. The Seminole Tribe has taken control of mobile sports betting in the state and is paving the way for other states looking to approve online wagering.
We will be keeping a close eye on any industry developments and will keep you informed as things move forward. Stay tuned!
Is Sports Betting Legal In Florida?
We often get asked, “Is gambling legal in Florida?” Sadly the lack of change to the law means that sports betting is not legal in Florida. We have seen several major sports betting associations and lobbyists aiming to amend Florida gambling laws, but they have found little success in this pursuit. We may see changes in the coming years, but offshore bookmakers are players’ only option.
Five Reasons to Bet on These Offshore Betting Sites In Florida
While we wait for a change to the betting law in the state, we take a look at how to bet on sports in Florida. With the Buccaneers and Lightning winning the top prizes in the NHL and NFL in 2020, there has never been a better time to wager on sports betting markets for Floridians.
We have carefully reviewed the top online sports betting sites and provided some details we find especially important. Our team of experts and experience reviewing the very best providers means we know exactly what to look for on these sites.
Before you can bet on sports in Florida, we’ll give you the top five qualities to look out for when searching for an online betting site.
Available to Florida Bettors
This is a given. However, it’s important to check that the provider you’re interested in working with allows bettors residing in Florida to wager on the site. Florida’s online sports betting regulations are quite lax but don’t forget that online betting is strictly illegal unless it’s with an offshore bookmaker. Be sure what the oddsmaker permits before depositing.
GTBets is a great example of a sportsbook full of bonuses. Their welcome bonus is 100%.
First-Rate Customer Service
One of the best ways to judge a sportsbook is based on its customer service. The only way a top bookmaker can build and maintain a community of players and loyal customers is to ensure that they have the means to get help when they need it. This is especially important when there is money on the line. The very best online sportsbooks will always provide a combination of, if not all of these:
- Email contact
- Phone contact center
- Live Chat
- Community Forums
- Extensive FAQs
This can be confusing, as many sportsbooks will promote themselves as being the very best sportsbook around. But, ensure you do your homework. When scrolling through the various forums and internet reviews of a bookmaker, look out for customer complaints and how recent those complaints were made. What’s it like to navigate the site? Are the odds competitive? These are the kinds of questions a bettor should be asking. Make sure the sportsbook you’re depositing with is providing a legitimate service.
WagerWeb is a great example of this. They are always among the first to update their odds, really setting the industry’s tone.
Up to Date Odds
Many sportsbooks offer a variety of odds on a broad range of markets. But, are you receiving the latest betting odds? The only way to fully enjoy the excitement of gambling is to be able to bet on the latest odds. Technology has improved so much so that nearly all sportsbook providers are now offering live betting odds on a broad range of markets. If you’re the type of sports fan that keeps up-to-date with current events, you’ll expect to see changes in sports odds depending on what may have happened with competitors or teams. If this is not reflected in the odds, pass on this bookmaker.
Everygame has great customer service, especially their live chat, available 24/7.
Look for Promotions and Bonuses
Bonuses are a big part of sportsbooks. Whether it be the initial Welcome Bonus, seasonal promotions, or casino bonuses, there are a variety of great wagers that bettors should be looking for before depositing. This is especially true for the welcome bonus, which can give bettors a 50% or even 100% match on their first deposit. This gives a huge boost to a player’s funds from day one. As we mentioned, the major sports events (Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series, etc.) all provide great opportunities for bettors to attain funds.
Bovada has been around for a long time and is a well-known and beloved sportsbook.
Potential Legal Sports Betting Sites In Florida
Because Florida sports gambling is illegal, offshore bookmakers remain the number one option for sports betting enthusiasts and gamblers in the state. On this page, we have promoted the best betting sites in Florida, though many other offshore bookmakers offer odds in Florida. Given the sweeping changes to sports betting in the United States, we may see Florida sports gambling legalized in the coming years.
We cannot tell what will happen in the coming years, but many betting licenses will likely be offered to sports betting providers in the state. Gambling in Florida may experience a major shift, so keep checking back with this page for the latest updates and insights on this topic. While we do not know for sure yet, we do expect bookmakers like Fanduel, Draftkings, and BetMGM to begin operating in the Sunshine State in the coming years.
List of Casinos in Florida
The Sunshine State is home to many casinos, especially on land owned by the Seminole Tribe in Florida. One of the biggest ones is the Hard Rock Sportsbook. It will soon be available for mobile sports betting. It is an example of a casino owned by the Seminole Tribe of Florida. Even though it is a worldwide chain, it has its own color here in Florida.
- Big Easy Casino
- Calder Casino & Race Course
- Casino Miami Jai-Alai
- Creek Entertainment Gretna
- Dania Jai-Alai
- Daytona Beach Racing and Card Club
- Derby Lane
- Ebro Greyhound Track
- Flagler Dog Track and Magic City Casino
- Gulfstream Park Racing and Casino
- Hialeah Park Race Track
- Jacksonville Kennel Club
- Jefferson County Kennel Club
- Melbourne Greyhound Park
- Miccosukee Resort and Gaming Center
- Naples/Fort Myers Greyhound Track
- Ocala Poker & Jai-Alai
- Orange Park Kennel Club
- Orange City Racing and Card Club
- Oxford Downs
- Palm Beach Kennel Club
- Pensacola Greyhound Track
- Pompano Park
- Sarasota Kennel Club
- Seminole Casino Big Cypress
- Seminole Casino Brighton
- Seminole Casino Hotel Immokalee
- Seminole Casino Coconut Creek
- Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Hollywood
- Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Tampa
- Seminole Classic Casino
- Tampa Bay Downs
- Tampa Greyhound Track
Florida Sports Betting Timeline
We take a look back at the last few years of news related to Florida sports betting, with some major progress towards a legal playing field for bettors and providers.
Tribes file for change regarding sports betting in Florida
Seminoles file a brief aiming to be heard in the Florida sports betting case
President Biden aims to reinstate Seminole control
The Biden administration urges an appeals court to reinstate a deal that gave the Seminole Tribe control of sports betting in the state
US Department issued an approval on betting
The US Department of Interior issued a “deemed” approval letter to the betting compact, implying it is legal under US law.
The launch doesn’t go ahead as planned
The anticipated launch date has come and gone. Updates could come in November after a hearing on Nov. 5 to address one of the lawsuits.
Senator files for legal sports betting
Sen. Jeff Brandes files SB 392, which would allow for legal sports betting.
Seminole Tribe removes itself from 2010 Compact
The Seminole Tribe removes itself from the 2010 Compact, due to a disagreement with racino card game revenue and operation. The state stops receiving revenue from its gambling operations, although casino operations continue.
There are many discussions about the Florida-Seminole gaming compact. What’s clear is that all the parties need to sit down and discuss how to bet move forward, and within Constitutional limits, so that we do not repeat the failures and setbacks of previous attempts.
Recent Florida Betting Tips, March 2023
NBA Betting in Florida
- Miami Heat – Led by the legendary Jimmy Butler, the Heat are one of the most formidable teams in the National Basketball League and have shown time and time again why they are one of few teams to hold more than two Championship titles.
- Orlando Magic – The Orlando Magic is an American pro basketball team in Orlando, Florida. The Magic takes part in the National Basketball Association as part of the East Conference Southeast Division.
MLB Betting in Florida
- Tampa Bay Rays – The Tampa Bay Rays are the number one baseball team competing in the MLB out of Florida. Sadly the team has never managed to win the World Series, but they had come close a few times, most notably when they got the AL Pennant in 2020.
- Miami Marlins – The Miami Marlins are an American professional baseball squad in Miami. The Marlins fight in MLB as a National League East division participant organization. The team’s stadium is LoanDepot Park. The franchise commenced play as an extension group in 1993, classified as the Florida Marlins.
NFL Betting in Florida
- Jacksonville Jaguars – The Jacksonville Jaguars have only recently become more of a force in the NHL. They finished the 2022/23 season atop the AFC South and have shown why they may soon be one of the teams to contend with at the top of the pile.
- Miami Dolphins -The Miami Dolphins are a professional American football franchise in the Miami metropolitan district. The Dolphins contend in the National Football League as an associate organization of the American Football Conference East’s league.
NHL Betting in Florida
- Tampa Bay Lightning – One of the best NHL teams in the league right now, winning the 2020 and 2021 titles and narrowly missed out on making it three Stanley Cups in three years.
- Florida Panthers – The Florida Panthers are a professional hockey squad in the Miami metropolitan zone. They participate in the NHL as an affiliate of the Atlantic Section of the Eastern Discussion. They formerly played their house games at Miami Arena before transferring to FLA Live Arena in 1998.
Florida and daily fantasy sports
We’ve seen a huge increase in the number of Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) being played in the state of Florida in recent years. One of the major driving forces for this is that Florida sports gambling online is illegal. Until gambling in Florida is passed, it’s very unlikely that we’ll see the flourishing DFS market take a hit, as it gives sports enthusiasts an outlet for their sports fix.
While major bookmakers like FanDuel and BetMGM offer DFS, there is also a range of other Florida sports betting options for Fantasy. Be sure to check out the top-tier providers in the state of Florida if you’re looking to begin wagering.
Florida gambling law does offer horse and dog racing, though anyone looking to open up this kind of operation must seek a license from the state.
Is horse racing legal in Florida?
Florida gambling law allows for horse and dog racing, with several tracks available in the Sunshine State. With six tracks operating today, there are plenty of options for players. Check the complete list out below:
- Gulfstream Park Racing and Casino
- Tampa Bay Downs
- Naples Fort Myers Greyhound Track
- Hialeah Racetrack
- Sanford Orlando Kennel Club
- Best bet Orange Park
Florida sports betting offers horse racing, but it’s only legal to bet if you’re physically at the track. However, if you’re working with one of the offshore providers we’ve mentioned on this page, you’ll be able to bet online freely. We would advise looking at the top racing betting sportsbooks for more on Florida horse racing.
Nearest states with legal betting
For bettors in Florida keen to wager with a registered online bookmaker, it’s best to travel to neighboring states. The following states are the closest bordering states with legal betting to Florida:
- North Carolina
Unfortunately, Florida’s neighboring states—Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina—don’t allow sports wagering online. So, bettors in Florida must travel through those states to reach one of the listed three that allow wagering.
Betting on NFL in Florida – 2023
- The Philadelphia Eagles are currently priced at +800 odds, giving them an implied probability of 11.1% to be crowned Super Bowl champions in 2024.
- Jalen Hurts is currently the favorite to become NFL MVP in 2024, with nearly all major online providers listing him at +550.
- Kansas fans can root for their team to win the Super Bowl and Conference with odds of +950, providing them with an exciting betting opportunity.
- The Dallas Cowboys are given less favorable odds to win the Super Bowl this season, with +1600.
- The Kansas City Chiefs recently won the 2023 Super Bowl, and top providers have given them +600 odds of winning the 2024 championship.
Betting on MLB in Florida – March 2023
- The Philadelphia Phillies played an excellent 2022 season and are now entering the 2023 season as strong outside favorites at odds of +1400.
- Major bookmakers have the Los Angeles Dodgers as clear joint favorites to lift the World Series in 2023 at +750.
- GTBets has the Yankees at sub +1000 odds to clinch the 2023 title, with odds swinging between +700 and +800.
- The White Sox have proven to be a side building towards something this season and will start next season as +2500 to win the World Series next year.
- The Mets have performed better than anyone expected this season and will begin next season at +700 to clinch the title.
Betting on NBA in Florida – 2023
- The MVP odds are exciting this season. We’ve got the reigning NBA champion Stephen Curry at +5500 to win the Regular Season MVP title, a way behind the favorite Luka Doncic at +650.
- Last season’s NBA Finals team, the Boston Celtics, are favorites to win 2022/23 Championship, with odds of +320 at BetOnline.
- The Over/Under for the Los Angeles Clippers is set at 52.5 wins, with both lines set at +215 with BetUS.
- The Warriors are not far behind their 2022 NBA Finals opponents, the Celtics, with odds of +900 at GTBets.
- The Clippers are also among the favorites, with odds ranging between +1100 and +1200 at our recommended top-tier providers.